Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Stuck Inside? Try Virtual Plein Air

'Spring Bouquet'             9x12               pastel                 ©Karen Margulis
available $165

I had planned for April to be Plein Air month on my Patreon Page. I was supposed to be attending the Plein Air Convention in May so I was excited to practice my plein air skills this month. The convention was rescheduled and we are all now Artists in Residence! But Plein Air Month is still on! 

Maybe you can go out and paint in your yard. Even a pot of flowers is fair game. The idea is to paint from life under changing conditions and to create studies to inform your studio paintings.  Over on Patreon this month I am sharing tips for more successful plein air experiences including some ideas for virtual plein air. Consider joining us! www.patreon.com/karenmargulis

Today's painting is the result of one virtual plein air idea. I printed one of my photos in an 8x10 format. The photo has a lot of information so I can use a viewfinder to isolate an area to paint.This photo has several options....just like it would be if I was standing there in real life. I isolated the poppies and made the painting an intimate portrait of the flowers. I used Canson Mi-tientes moonstone. See the step by step demo over on my Patreon Page!



My virtual plein air spot for today!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Karen, have you posted a video of this painting? Thanks!

Karen said...

I didn't make a video of this one but I did take step by step photos and posted them with commentary on our Patreon group.