Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, September 03, 2021

What is the Most Unusual Underpainting You Have Tried?

'Mountain Magic'            8x10           pastel            ©Karen Margulis      available $265

This month I set a challenge for myself. How many unusual underpaintings can I try? I love the mystery and magic of underpaintings  and I often use watercolor or wet my pastel with water or alcohol but I wondered what other unexpected techniques I could try. So I made a list of the media and techniques I want to try and I will use my photos from our June camping adventure for inspiration. 

For my first underpainting explorations I tried two materials and techniques. I began with a wet underpainting using Caran d'Ache Neocolor II water soluble wax crayons. I then shaved some soft pastel bits in the meadow areas. I sprayed these bits of pastel with water which made them drip. Some of the pieces dried as texture on the paper.  The result was an interesting texture with bold vibrant color. 

I felt like a mad scientist in the studio and can't wait to do more explorations!  What is the most unusual underpainting you have done? Share in the comments!





 Join my Patreon group to see the full step by step demo of this painting! You can join for just $4 a month which gives you access to almost four years of content!  www.patreon.com/karenmargulis

No comments: