Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The Gift Of a Sensitive Eye


'Down in the Meadow'           10x8        pastel        ©Karen Margulis
available $225

It is a common complaint. Finding something to paint is a stumbling block for many. Before I give my two cents on this topic I will share a wonderful quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson.
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."
 This quote strikes a chord with me as I am always reminding myself and my students that beauty is everywhere. We should be able to find something that touches us and inspires us wherever we look. We have to approach our search for inspiration with the mindset that there is beauty in everything. We only need to be open to it....to really SEE it. It isn't enough to just look around us. We need to feel the beauty and be sensitive to it. This is something I am thankful for.

I don't use beautiful and perfect reference photos for my paintings. I use small and dark photos. (bad photos) This allows me to pull out the beauty that I see inside of my mind and put it into the painting. I have discovered that  bad photos lead to my best paintings. My favorite places to paint are not the most spectacular. They possess a quiet and simple beauty that speaks to me because I am open to them.

What are you thankful for as an artist? 



the dry wash underpainting
Two more days for the 50% discount on original pastel paintings!  New work has been added including today's painting! Check the out at www.etsy.com/shop/karenmargulisfineart

1 comment:

leslie said...

Karen, you are an ongoing inspiration. Happy Thanksgiving!