Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

New Beach Painting


I thought I'd share a photo of my latest painting on the easel to give you an idea of how I work. The painting is a scene from Nags Head, Outer Banks North Carolina. The reference photo was sent to me by a collector who thought I might enjoy painting it. They were right! It was a great scene to paint. The colors of the sea oats were so beautiful and that stormy sky was wonderful! Thank you and thank you to the photographer as well. For this painting I used Pastelbord which is a coated masonite surface. It allowed me to play with the clouds, spraying them with water, letting it dry and adding even more layers! Fun! You can see in this photo I taped the board to a larger piece of foamcore so I could paint all the way to the edges. I also did a small color study. You can also see the pastels I used for the painting...about 40 total and a mixture of Terry Ludwigs, Great Americans and Giraults for the grasses.

1 comment:

abqhudson said...

It's wonderful!

Jim and Sandy Hudson
Albuquerque, NMatdhjq