Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Choosing your paper color....a demo

I was asked by a student how one decides what color paper to paint on. Good question! So I thought a picture was worth a thousand words and I put together a set of paintings done on different paper colors. I painted the same scene of Queen Anne's Lace using the exact same pastels for each painting. They range in size from 4x4 to 6x6. (I was using my scraps) I also used different brands of paper. They are all marked so you can see the difference the color and type of support has on the finished painting. It was a fun exersice and I think I will use this same palette to paint a larger more finished version. Which paper color did I prefer? Well it's funny...each time I look at them I see things I prefer on each one. If I had to choose I would say I like the Belgium Mist Wallis version the best but the black LaCarte comes in at a close second.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was really a great idea Karen! thank you for posting this exercise.