Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Painting with my Left Hand

'Fall comes to the Marsh' 8x10 pastel
We never know what Marsha will have in store for us at pastel class! Last night we arrived to class to find out we would be painting with our opposite hand...in my case...the left hand. I was good and didn't cheat at all though I guess I chose a subject that didn't require much detail and one that I am very familiar with. It was interesting to have to think more about applying my strokes and being more deliberate about what I was painting. I should challenge myself with a more detailed subject next time.

3 comments:

Sheila Vaughan said...

I tried that at a workshop during a conference on "Learning". It was very interesting. We had to do portraits of each other, first with the hand you normally use, then with the other hand. Everyone in the workshop preferred the one I did with the other hand, and the tutor, who was an art teacher took both my efforts to illustrate to his students what happens when we have to suspend our learned judgements.

Karen said...

I agree! It was an interesting exercise and I will try it again. Thanks for commenting.
Karen

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
you post the best exercises! Thank you so much for sharing your work with the rest of us. You are an inspiration.