Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, March 06, 2011

To Blend or Not to Blend? Sunset Pavillion Cape May NJ

'Late Afternoon in Cape May' 8x8 pastel
I have always avoided too much surface blending in my pastel paintings. I have always preferred to let the pastel layers blend themselves or to see my strokes. I have tried to keep my fingers off the painting except for an occasional softening of edges with my finger. In my Back to Basics Pastel class we have been taking a look at the different ways we have to apply the pastel. We have done linear marks, side strokes and this week we will take a look at blending. So I have been playing around with paintings that are mostly blended just to see what happens. I have been using canson and other drawing papers rather than sanded paper and I am really enjoying the soft moody quality I can get. So the question is ....do you blend your pastels or do you keep your fingers off the painting? If you are a blender what are your favorite blending tools?

Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $125 USD
Or, send me an email

No comments: