2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Friday, December 23, 2011

Winter in the City ...Painting Snowflakes in Pastel

'Winter in the City' 8x10 pastel ©Karen Margulis
One of the things I like about pastel is how easy it is to experiment with them. In this painting I wanted the effect of falling snow so I decided to shave some white pastel into a cup, wet it with water to make a paste. Then I used an old toothbrush to flick the wet pastel onto the finished painting. The pastel dried and the pieces stuck to the painting....instant snow! I will do a demo of this fun little technique next week. I want to thank all of the people who have sent me some winter reference photos. I can't wait to paint from them next week.

Did you notice my photos are larger? I did some research and found a way to make my paintings display larger on blogger. How do you like it?



7 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

You know I always like to see your work.

Let it SNOW!!!

Paula Campbell said...

Karen, I LOVE the snow effect! AND the larger photo.

Merry Christmas!

Karen said...

Thank you Marian! I truly appreciate your visits and comments. I have plans to make my blog more informative in 2012 so keep coming back!

Karen said...

Thanks Paula! I am so excited for the larger photos. I plan to write up a tutorial on getting them to show larger. Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Cindy Michaud said...

Fun! love finding out new things to do with pastel! I tried them with a palatte knife once, really fun. Beautiful piece.

Karen said...

Cindy,
I'd love to hear how you used a palette knife with pastels! I'm intrigued!!!

Vanessa said...

Beautiful painting! I feel liek I'm right in the picture when viewing it.