Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Benefits of a Break from Technology

'May Meadows'            5x7     plein air pastel       ©Karen Margulis  purchase here $75
Turn off your phones and computers and go out into Nature. This is the advice Clyde Aspevig gave us at the Plein Air Convention. Over the last few days I followed his advice....and not by choice!  I went to visit my parents in the North Carolina mountains and to help my sister with some organizing. I also had a painting event in the area on Saturday.  I had very intermittent cell phone service. If I was up on a mountain I got service, down in the valleys...nothing!  After awhile I just gave up and stopped checking my phone for email or messages.  Internet was also spotty and I was busy so didn't have time to chase down a wifi hotspot. After a day of withdrawal I started to enjoy being disconnected.
I spent quality time with my family. I enjoyed being outside, taking the dog to the lake for a swim and trying to sell some stuff at the local flea market. I enjoyed a plein air painting event at Anderson Creek Retreat in North Georgia. I did miss posting to the blog and checking facebook and email but I didn't realize how much I needed the time away to recharge.  I enjoyed getting out into nature and soaking in the quiet beauty without the distractions of my phone.

'The Coming Storm'           5x7        plein air pastel

 Clye recommended that we do this often  It is important for us to  get out into nature and study it. To really understand what we are trying to paint. I have tried to have my phone available while I am painting outside and it has been frustrating. Casual phone calls or calls that could really wait are distracting. From now on I will have my phone with me for emergencies but I will ask my family not to call unless it is an emergency. After the last few days without the phone and internet I really can appreciate the benefit of some quiet time away.
Today's paintings were done at the Anderson Creek Paint-out. We had less than 2 hours to paint and it started raining as I painted 'The Coming Storm'. Fun but challenging plein air conditions.

4 comments:

Cmichaudart said...

Lovely work. It only takes a day of withdrawal and then you are free...messages can be left, rarely is anything life and death. enjoy!

Maria Bennett Hock said...

The simple beauty of these is just wonderful. love this post.

Marian Fortunati said...

Clyde is so right and your illustration proves it.

We've become slaves to our technology... (she says as she types away... sigh.)

Karen said...

Thank you all for the comments! I am thinking taking a break for one day a week is in order!