Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Monday, November 05, 2012

Pawley's Island Plein Air Report...Day One


'Wild Day for Fishing'      2.5x3.5     pastel  SOLD
It's  beautiful day on Pawley's Island.  We awoke to a breezy 45 degrees but the sun broke through and made the wind bearable.  I couldn't wait to paint something....anything!  It was too windy to set up an easel but fortunately the house we are renting has a porch facing the ocean and the marsh so I had my pick of sheltered view.

I chose the beach view because it was in the sun.  I'll paint the marsh in the afternoon.  I decided to warm up by painting some mini pastels. I didn't bring any larger paper because I intend to use my oils this week.  See the photo for my pastel set up for minis.

My pastel set up for travel
 I painted the ocean and the dunes and then our next door neighbor came out to surf fish. I loved his yellow jacket so I painted him.  I was warm on the sunny porch and thoroughly enjoyed my painting session. There is nothing like painting the ocean while listening to the crashing surf and smelling the fresh salt air  (and keeping warm and out of the wind)

My subject

No comments: