Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Favorite Paintings of 2012 ...Dusting Technique


'Believe in Magic'       19x27       pastel    SOLD

2012 was about trying new mediums and new techniques.  Last February I discovered dusting. I saw great possibilities for this fun pastel technique.  Dusting is actually an old technique and you can read more about it on my post on Dusting. Be sure to see the link on Richard McKinley's blog post on dusting.  All you do it shave pastel over your painting where you want the dust and push it into the paper. I use a rolling pin and glassine paper. 

I choose this painting as one of my favorites because I love the way the pastel dusting adds to the effect of a tangle of wildflowers and blowing pollen from the bumblebees.  I am happy that it sold and has a good home but I will be finding ways to use dusting more in my work.

step by step demo of 'Believe in Magic'
You can read more about how this painting developed and the dusting technique in my blog post HERE


No comments: