Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Collecting Reference Photos for Paintings

'Sunset Marsh'. 5x7. Pastel

Gathering reference photos is hard work! Today Jayne and I spent the day touring around Lake County Florida. We decided to stay a day after the workshop to unwind and get some Florida bird photos. It was an amazing day. We took hundreds of photos and added a few birds to our life list.

We saw many osprey, a few bald eagles, hawks and countless herons and egrets. But just as good as the bird sightings was their surroundings. We saw beautiful marshes and lakes and ponds and canals. I can't wait to get home and not only apply what I've learned at the Doug Dawson workshop but also to paint some birds.

I am a firm believer in using my own reference photos for my paintings. I have learned a few things about taking good reference photos. Here are my top tips:

  • Be sure to have plenty of free memory on your camera cards.
  • Charge your battery and carry a spare battery.
  • Take lots of photos. Don't be stingy! You can always delete but I find the bad photos make the best paintings!
  • Take close ups of the flora and fauna. They might not look like great photos but they will be valuable to help you understand the area better.

I will be blogging more about taking photos and cameras. I want to share a review of my latest camera...a canon super zoom!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were also a birdwatcher! :)