Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, April 05, 2013

E is for Easy-L Easel Review

'Summer Comes to the Marsh'           6x8      oil on panel  $125
'Passing Clouds'          6x8     oil on panel
My plein air set up for oils
I am putting the EasyL easel through it's paces these days.  I bought it 2 years ago with the thought that I would use it for oil painting. I never did use it for oils. It works great for pastels too!  But when I decided to explore oils in April I turned to my EasyL easel.  I have been very pleased so far.
"The EASyL sets a new standard for plein-air painting equipment. Beautifully manufactured in wood and brass, EASyL can be completely set up and ready to use in under 2 minutes. Using a professional tripod, the EASyL is sturdy and well suited to rugged terrain."
I have the EasyL Lite version. I purchase just the box since I already had a good tripod. I also bought an inexpensive wood palette that fits into the box perfectly. You can use the inside of the box of get a piece of glass or plexiglass to fit as well.  Here is a link to the company, Artwork Essentials, and the specifications of my easel. Here is what I like about this easel:
  • Lightweight and compact. Now they make one without the added panel carrier which would be even better since I don't use the built in carrier.
  • Quick and easy to set up. I leave the tripod quick release plate on the box so I just set up the tripod, click the box into place and it is ready to go.
  • Nice quality. It feels more expensive than it is with brass hardware and accessories.
  • The Lite version is just the right size for the small paintings I like to do. I usually don't paint larger than 8x10 for plein air so this size is perfect for me.
  • The box has a carry strap but it fits in a larger backpack or messenger bag.
  • PASTELS!  I can use this box for pastels too. I can set a small cigar box of pastels in the palette well or my backback Heilman box fits nicely on top. I use a bungee cord run through the tripod to secure the box. The great thing about this set up is you don't need a table for your pastel box and everything is in front of you. No bending down!
I'll be happy to answer any questions....just comment below.  The paintings in today's post were done on my trip to St. Simons Island last weekend.

3 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

I totally love my EasyL.... It survived for a year even after I ran over it with my car.
When I sent it in to repair I bought a smaller one. Really love that one too.
They repaired the damaged one and it's still my favorite!!!

Pam Short said...

Thanks for the information! I have seen others like the all-in-one and am interested in knowing if you have looked at or used that one. Currently, I will be painting with pastels for plein air. The price of the Easy-L is better, I think, since it includes the tripod but I would have to double check that.

Thanks!
Pam

Karen said...

Thanks Marian and Pam. Pam, I am not sure what the all in one easel is? So I would have to say no experience with it! I bought the easyl for oils but I can easily bungee my backpack Heilman box on it and it is great!