Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, August 30, 2013

Miles of Canvas Revisited

'There is Beauty'          6x8           pastel            ©Karen Margulis
click here to purchase $100

"If you look into the past of a successful painter you will find square miles of canvas"
-Charles Hawthorne

 Old friends are golden.  The scene in today's painting is an old and dear friend.  If you know me or have followed my blog for any length of time you may be familiar with it.   It is the subject of my 'Miles of Canvas' variation challenge I did back in the fall of 2009.

I painted this scene from a black and white photo 100 times.  100 5x7 paintings completed over a 3 month period. I used many types of paper. Many pastel techniques. Many styles and color palettes. It was the best thing I ever did for my art. I recommend it to anyone who is seriously committed to being a better artist. (see some of my original challenge paintings here)

Today I was looking for something to paint and came across the original black and white photo from the challenge.  It was time to revisit my old friend and put a new spin on it. To see how I have grown as an artist. To see how I would approach something I knew like the back of my hand.  It was a wonderful visit. I can't wait to visit the actual place in September....and see it with fresh eyes. I am thinking much more is to come!


What are you waiting for?  Start your own variation challenge. I promise you will learn more than you could ever hope for!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun to see so many versions of one photo. The Snowy Day version is outstanding!

Dana S. Whitney said...

Very informative series (and comments). Did you pick a photo that you LOVED? or "just" a photo. I am balking because I don't think I have any references I could STAND 100 times!!

Karen said...

Thanks Patti and Dana. Dana, I picked a photo of a place I love and I made sure it was simple enough that I could vary it in 100 ways. I didn't get tired of it at all. But why not set a smaller number say 50? That way you will still benefit and you can always keep on going!