2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

How to Make Time for an Art Blog

'And the Mountains Sing'          5x7         pastel       ©Karen Margulis
sold
It's all I can do to find time to paint!  How can I possible fit in time to sit at the computer and write a blog post?  Does this sound like something you've said?  I get this question a lot.  I had to think about the answer.  Blogging to me is such a habit that I don't think about it as making time for posting.  It's the other way around. Often what I want to post will guide what I paint. Or it at least causes me to make time to paint.
Because if I don't paint I have nothing to post. And we all know the benefit that comes from lots of painting time!  So having a blog is often my incentive to paint rather than waste time or find excuses.

Maybe you need more incentive than that.  Here are some ideas to get you thinking:


  • Take advantage of the feature to save posts to draft and publish when you are ready. This way you can write when you have a block of free time.
  • Decide on a posting schedule that works with your activities. Plan on posting at least once a week. And on posting days either write a new post or use one of your drafts.
  • Make a list or calendar with blog post ideas.  If you have good ideas ready you will save a lot of time. Most of my time is spent on figuring out what I want to post! 
  • Come up with an easy routine for posting. For example I always do my post as soon as I upload the photos of my daily painting. I am already sitting at the computer and so it is easy to open up Blogger, load the photos and write the post. 
  • Keep posting and post often! The steps involved in doing a blog post may seem time consuming at first but once you get familiar with it, the posting goes so much faster. So if it seems to take a long time....keep posting and it will get faster!


Today's Painting:  White Wallis paper with Terry Ludwig pastels. This is a view of Mt Moran in Grand Teton National Park.

3 comments:

Tim Moore said...

could you do a blog on getting good quality pics, scans for the web?..my pictures ,scans usually dont turn out well..tinted a funny color..maybe if my pics turned out better,i wouldnt get discouraged from going further..

Karen said...

Hi Tim,
I will be doing a post soon on how I take my photos. Great idea! Thanks!

Andy Crichton said...

Excellent advice, the hardest part is sitting down and starting. I set up my blog based website writing like mad from 7pm to 1am 5 days a week after work and at weekends, a bit extreme but it developed a body of work that has paid huge dividends.

Not everyone's gig though, but if it is done consistently, blogging really is like falling off a log. Build and they WILL come.