2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Friday, January 03, 2014

What to do When it's too Cold to Paint Outside

'City Sidewalks'. 5 x 7. Pastel

I had good intentions. I wanted to paint the snow outside. I wanted to feel the cold so I would remember it. I had plenty of layers and the sun was out. But it didn't last long. By the time our errands were run the sun was gone. It was about 9 degrees so I decided to stay inside. I was still itching to paint though.

What do you do when it's too cold to paint outside? Paint inside of course! Yesterday I painted the view out my window and that is always a good option. Today I decided to paint from my camera. I didn't even bother to download the photos. I just chose a photo and painted from the screen. The 2 inch photo is the perfect size for a reference. Too small for getting picky with detail.

I used my great little travel kit and sat in the warm kitchen. Here is a picture of the pastels I used for this painting. It is so liberating to realize that you don't always need hundreds of pastels to paint a painting!

 

1 comment:

robertsloan2art said...

This is an incredible nocturne! One of the side effects of your little palette is that the color comes out sparkling clean and intense - all the effects of the light intensified and reading true even with stronger colors. I love the way you captured the feel of a Chicago evening in this. It's glorious. I'm just stunned.

It brought back some happy memories this time. I did have some good times there. Truly evocative piece!