Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Why I Love Taking Art Workshops

'Softly Comes the Morning'         8x10          pastel             ©Karen Margulis
sold
I guess I am just a perpetual student. I love to learn new things. I am happiest with my nose in a book or listening to a good lecture and taking notes. So it is exciting to be packing up my supplies for my upcoming workshop with Liz Haywood-Sullivan.

One of the things I love about painting is that artists are never done learning. It is not something we ever really totally master. We may develop technical skills but there is always room for learning and growth. I choose my workshops carefully and make sure I don't take too many too closely spaced. Time is needed to digest what is learned. Too much information from too many sources can be confusing. But chosen wisely a workshop can have many benefits.

All my gear! Packing is different for a studio workshop when I have my car than flying to a plein air workshop.

  •  A workshop exposes us to new ideas and techniques which can lead to new discoveries even for the most experienced artist.
  • We often learn just as much from the other artists in the workshop. I always learn tips from my fellow artists...not to mention meeting new friends who are as passionate about painting as I am.
  • It's good for your brain!  It is important to go back to learning mode every once in awhile. Hearing things you know explained in a different way can lead to breakthroughs and aha moments and we are never too experienced to have those!
  • Workshops can be a time of forced immersion in art. Sometimes life gets in the way and we don't get to paint as much as we want. A workshop gives your days of uninterrupted painting time. It can really jumpstart a good routine.
  • Workshops help me learn how to be a better teacher. It is humbling to be a struggling student...going back to that place helps me understand my students and what they are feeling in my classes.
I will report on my workshop experience this week!  I can't wait!


1 comment:

Susan Corcoran said...

Have a great time Karen! I am looking forward to a 5-day workshop here in England in a few weeks time, so I understand your sense of anticipation!