Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Monday, July 13, 2015

Finland Workshop ... Our Last Day

 

'Birches by the Sea'. 8x10. Pastel. Karen Margulis

It's always good to have a Plan B. The weather for the last day of the workshop was supposed to be good. Sunshine all day. We were going to paint in Bjorkoby Finland and the Kvarken World a Heritage site. But we woke up to cold, wind and rain. Time for Plan B!

Instead of taking our morning field trip we stayed in the Summer house studio. I painted the birch tree demo from one of my sketches. It was a good lesson on how to paint plein air when weather does not cooperate. After a warm lunch of delicious soup our patience was rewarded with the appearance of the sun! Off we went to Bjorkoby.

There was plenty to paint here from boats to red boat houses to birds to water. It was a wonderful place to spend our last afternoon of the workshop. I have so many stories to share. I have had such an amazing experience. I will be gathering my thoughts and writing more in depth blog posts when I return home. Here are a few more photos from the last workshop day. I have a couple of days in Finland before I head home.

 

 

1 comment:

robertsloan2art said...

I love those birches! One of your best, one of my favorites! I like the soft distance in it and depth in the scene, the way they're fat and a little gnarly, the feel and mood of the piece. Gorgeous photos and you're so right. Quick field sketches can be inspiring and even better than working from a photo.