Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Sunday Studio Video: The Finishing Marks on a Large pastel Painting

'Southern Colors'         30x40       pastel      ©Karen Margulis     sold

 I was back on Facebook Live today with a new video. The topic of the day is 'Finishing a Painting.'  How do I  decide where to put the finishing marks and what they will be?  I answer these questions and more on the video. I show you how I finish this large marsh scene. The video is available on my Facebook page or on my YouTube channel.

As promised I am posting the progress photos of the painting as it developed.

6x8 color study available

Step One: The drawing with pencil


Step two: The underpainting: a layer of Mount Vision pastels rubbed in with pipe insulation foam

Step Three: reinforce the darks and start the sky. 

Step Four: Start at the back and work to the foreground

Step Five: All of the grass is blocked in with big simple marks


Step Six: Adding some details in the grass and the distant buildings...Before the final marks

On the easel waiting for the finishing marks.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Thank you for sharing this Karen. I was actually working on a smaller, but similar type painting from Jekyll Island, Georgia. I have been looking at it for about a week now, not sure if it is finished or if I have overworked it. So seeing this video of yours was really helpful so I can look at it and see what it is I need to do or not need to do.
Appreciate your time!
Kathleen Hartman