|'Welcome to the South' 8x10 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
It was a surprise for a couple of reasons. I had completely forgotten that I had done a watercolor underpainting for a Spring landscape. I just never got around to finishing the painting and it got buried in the pile of unfinished objects. (the UFO pile) When I found it today I was surprised for another reason. The underpainting had some cool crystal- like marks. How did I do that?
|The watercolor underpainting|
|the magic of salt and watercolor|
- Start the watercolor underpainting as usual. While the paint is still wet sprinkle the salt where you want the special effect.
- Try different size salt....Kosher salt makes different marks than table salt.
- Apply the salt with the paper flat.
- Try tipping the paper and letting the salt slide.
- Wait until the paint is dry before brushing off the salt.
- Try different paper to see the results. Todays painting is on Uart sanded paper.
I tried to keep my crystals showing in my painting but ended up covering more than I wanted. That's OK> I am excited to experiment more!