Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Wednesday Painting Demo with Music

'Wonderful Wildflowers'       16x20      pastel      ©Karen Margulis
available $225
I decided to sneak in a quick painting demo video the week. I had my paper and pastels ready and my music queued waiting for a daily painting. Why not film it! So I did a quick Facebook Live broadcast to some good music. I'd like to invite you to take a look. Visit my Facebook page to see the demo. https://www.facebook.com/karen.margulis

Here are a few remarks about the demo:

  • I am working from a photo I took last year at Wildseed Farm in Texas.
  • The photo was my inspiration but It was not my intention to copy it.
  • I am using a 16x20 piece of Canson Mi-Teintes paper in a dark brown color
  • I am using Terry Ludwig pastels.
  • I preselected my pastels and did a small study before painting.
  • I used Blair workable fixative to give me more tooth on the Canson paper
  • I am listening to Jesse Cook on Spotify.
  • I had a great time painting!


2.5x3.5 study

reference photo

4 comments:

Deborah said...

Love the study you did. And final product was very comforting....love. Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen! I just had a quick question for you. How do you take your pictures for your blog? Do you leave them unframed? Put a mat around them? I want to start chronicling my own pastel journey, so I just wanted to know the best way to take pics of my work. Thanks for the inspiration every day! Any plans in the works for a session at your studio this summer? I know you're extremely busy, but just thought I'd check in with you again. Happy painting!

Karen said...

Hi Jennifer! I don't do anything special. I take the photo of the painting while it is still up on my easel and I use the flash. I happen to have a good set up but you have to experiment to see what gives you the best results! I don't have plans for a summer session as of yet. Thanks for checking!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I will try that!