Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Saturday, June 02, 2018

How to Craft Inspiring Painting Titles

'Let Freedom Ring'           8x10          pastel         ©Karen Margulis
available $145
I have a Little Black Book. I have a new mission to keep it with me wherever I go. I plan to fill it with words. Inspiring words. Words that might lead to a painting or to a better painting title.  I have trouble choosing compelling and interesting titles for my paintings. I plan to solve this!




I used to keep a list at my desk of potential painting titles. Whenever I heard a good song title or perhaps a line from a poem I would jot it down on a stray piece of paper thinking they would be good painting titles. But I couldn't keep up with the stray pieces of paper!  So now I am using a small and thin notebook. Mine is a thin Canson sketchbook because I happened to have an extra. It is thin enough to slip into my bag so it can stay with me on my travels. The rest of the time it will stay on my studio desk ready to supply me with interesting title ideas!

About today's painting: This 8x10 painting is on mounted Uart board with a red dry underpainting.It is a scene from a trip to Nantucket Island several years ago.

No comments: