Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Saturday, June 30, 2018

The Importance of Seeing Shapes

'The Cows of Meauvaines'           5x7       plein air pastel        ©Karen Margulis
available $45
It looked daunting. But I really wanted to paint them. The cows surrounded our home base and wandered the fields near our home. I wen tout each morning with the intention of painting the landscape but I kept being drawn back to those cows! But I would I paint them from life. They were always on the move or were changing positions. Would I be able to paint fast enough? I hesitated.

But then I remembered advice given to me when I first started painting. I was taking a workshop with Terry Ludwig. And somehow the subject of painting things other than landscapes came up. I expressed my fear of including figures or animals in my landscapes. His answer was simple.
  "They are only SHAPES"

They are just shapes. That made sense. If I stopped calling them by name and just looked at the shapes I should be able to paint the cows. It wouldn't even matter how quickly they moved because I could quickly capture their shape and gesture. Once I focused on the shapes and values within the shapes I was able to get a good impression of those French cows.

More French Cows        5x7       pastel

No comments: