Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, June 14, 2019

When You Just Have to Paint the Clouds



'Clouds over New Mexico'           5x7               pastel                ©Karen Margulis

I am still recovering from an amazing time at the IAPS pastel convention in Albuquerque New Mexico. I am getting caught up but I am also reorganizing my studio to create a kid art section for my grandchildren. (more on that soon!) I will be doing a more comprehensive review of the convention but I wanted to share one of the quick paintings I did in my hotel room on the last day of the convention. 

We had a room on the 10th floor with an amazing view of the Sandia Mountains and a panorama of the sky. We were also blessed with some amazing skies while we were there.  On the last afternoon of my stay I was busy packing. I happened to glance out the window and saw the most picture perfect TEXT BOOK clouds and sky!  The clear blue sky was making the transition from dark and cool to lighter and warmer and the clouds were stacking up and getting more colorful and smaller as they approached the horizon. It was so cool to see these features in action. In fact it was so inspiring that I had to pull out my pastels to paint them!

I did a quick 5x7 study on white Pastelmat with Terry Ludwig pastels. I can't wait to paint some of the other wonderful skies that I experienced in New Mexico!

Picture perfect clouds over Albuquerque


Do you like to paint the sky and want some tips?

I just released a video that premiered last summer on my Patreon Page to my YouTube channel. Every once in awhile I will release an older video to keep my channel active. However new exclusive videos and video premieres are released each week on the Patreon Page. I hope you enjoy this video which was part of our month long study of the sky! Click on the link below to watch the video on painting the sky and clouds!

https://youtu.be/F2_BqYRDjJ8





I used my set of Terry Ludwig pastels...available June 27!




No comments: