Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Monday, February 17, 2020

What Do You Do With Demo Scraps? Part I



Today I am sharing the second remake of a demo scrap paper. If you missed the first post here are the details. 

You know me. I don't like to waste good paper. I often use scraps of pastel paper to illustrate lessons. They are not even complete demos. I call them demo scraps. No matter the size of these scraps I will find a way to reuse the paper even if it means cutting them down to mini size.
Recently I did a video review of a Daler Rowney set of 16 soft pastels. In the video I used a piece of Canson unsanded paper and a piece of Uart to show how the pastels performed on the different papers.  I painted a quick apple demo on each piece.
I decided to reuse the papers. I brushed off as much pastel as I could. Then I used a brush and rubbing alcohol to liquify the remaining pastel to create an interesting underpainting. I used very very little alcohol on the unsanded paper and it did great....no buckling. 

Here is what the underpaintings looked like once they were dry. 



This demo scrap was a bit tricky. Because I couldn't really spread the color with a larger amount of alcohol I was left with a red blob on my paper. How could I use this red blob?  I looked through the pile of marsh reference photos since I was still working on a marsh series. I found a photo with a Great Blue Heron on a a small island in the marsh. I could incorporate the red blob into the grasses and the island. 

I did a quick drawing to place my heron. The rest of the painting came together with several layers of soft pastels. I used Nupastels for the details in the grasse. This one was fun!







No comments: