Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Saturday, October 16, 2021

Paint Trees.......Not Leaves! New YouTube Demo



         'Autumn Holiday'                8x10               pastel               ©Karen Margulis      available $265

I have a problem when I paint trees.....I go overboard with the leaves!  I start to put in a few leaves and I have so much fun that before I know it my tree is covered in dots of leaf shapes! And dotty equals spotty which is something we want to avoid.  In this video I share some tips that help me overcome the problem of too many leaves. Click on the link below to watch the video on my YouTube channel.




One of the tips I share is that I like to start my tree paintings with big simple shapes of one value. I used a simple alcohol wash underpainting with local colors. It gave me a good foundation for the rest of my painting. Here is a closer look at the underpainting. 



I used an assortment of soft pastels including Terry Ludwig and Diane Townsend pastels. For the finishing touches I used a few Sennelier half sticks from the Paris set. 



Are you a Patreon Insider? When I release a video to my YouTube channel I always share a bonus lesson and expanded commentary for my Patreon Insiders. I'd love for you to join us!



 

No comments: