Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Aspens WIP...Part 3

Here is another installment of my aspens work in progress. I did a bit to the sky but spent the rest of my time building up my tree trunks. I mostly used my Girault pastels to build up many layers of color....purples, greens, peach, yellows, blues. Now I am just starting to put in the dark spots before I will finish with the lightest areas to make theses trees glow. I am debating about the dark spots. On these particular trees, there are a lot of dark areas. Many of them are scars from people carving intials in the trunks. (they are at a busy overlook in Bryce Canyon National Park) I just have to decide how much to put in! And finally I will develop the background trees some more and finish up with the snow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen...this is looking gorgeous! I would add a few more spots to the trees...take a look at http://www.bobrohm.com/ (if you have time). He has painted several aspen tree scenes and they are beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to post your progress!

Debbie

Karen said...

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for commenting and I will definitely check out Bob Rohm's site. I am planning to add more spots...in that great Terry Ludwig dark eggplant...saving it for almost last!

Takeyce said...

Great progress so far, Karen. Thanks for sharing your process.