Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Monday, January 18, 2010

Frozen Creek Winter Painting 11x14

'Frozen Creek' 11x14 pastel
Today I take you from the warm orange glow of the marsh to the icy cold of a frozen waterfall! This was the demo painting I did for yesterday's workshop on painting winter. I chose a challenging painting for the demo but I wanted to show my students how to take a very chaotic photo and design a better painting. This has a lot a lot going on but the photo had even more! We also talked about the challenges of painting snow and tips for getting a landscape with snow to look more authentic....a challenge for us in the south since we don't get to experience snow very often! It was a fun afternoon of painting. This workshop will be available as an online e-class along with other class options....announcement coming by the end of the week!

2 comments:

Judy Adamson said...

I think your work is stunning - no other word for it! I particularly love your snowy creeks, have been blogging about the difficulties of painting snow recently. You're beginning to inspire me to get back to some soft pastel painting as soon as I can find some time!

Karen said...

Thank you so much for writing! I am so glad to know that what I do is inspiring to you. I hope you do find time for pastels...they are wonderful! Thanks again for your kind words!
Karen