2018 Workshop Details Coming Soon! click here
Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

'Behind the Scenes' Cow Painting 12x24

'Behind the Scenes' 12x24 Pastel Karen Margulis
close-up details
Underpainting with gouache
I wish the photo showed the scale of the painting better. 12x24 is actually large for me! I had this photo for a couple of years and I've been wanting to paint it. I took the photo while Jayne, Holly and I wandered around the Amish Country in PA. I couldn't resist taking a photo of these cows as they ate. I thought they needed a long format. I did an underpainting with gouache and did a few layers of pastel, used some fixative so I could get a bit of texture and more contrast. It was a fun change of pace for me. I am doing a little farm series and have some chickens, sheep and pigs on my list!

Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $250 USD
Or, send me an email

1 comment:

Angela said...

Karen, this is so cool! Ha.. I love the title too.