Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Easter I was Famous


'Time for Spring'         6x6       pastel      ©Karen Margulis
available for purchase $45

'Time for Change'          6x6        pastel      $45

A Story from the Archives:  I was 13 years old and on top of the world.  I had just opened up the local newspaper to check on the winners of the egg decorating contest.  The headlines shouted "Sisters tie for 1st Place in egg contest" That would be me!!!  And ........me.  Oops!  You see I couldn't decide which of my egg designs I liked best so I entered both of them with one in my sister's name.  I didn't think either one would win so it was a surprise to read that both tied for first place!  

No my parents didn't know I used my sister's name to enter and of course looking back it wasn't the right thing to do. But at the time it seemed like the best way to enter both of my eggs. Was my sister upset?  No, I shared my prizes with her!  But really the best prize for a 13 year old budding artist was to have my work published in the newspaper!

The contest winners announced!

These days I still like to paint eggs only I put them in nests and use pastels!  Today's nest paintings are done on Strathmore Black Artagain paper and are 6x6.

I have three more nest paintings on auction at DailyPaintworks.com ending soon! See them here 

4 comments:

AnfinsenArts Alive said...

Absolutely love the energy in these bird's nest painting! Well done. I can see you were a whiz at marketing as a kid. Nice blog!

robertsloan2art said...

I love the way you capture the solidity of the woven part of the nest and the airiness of the twigs and grasses sticking out. This is so cool! Great story too!

Sheila said...

Wow I love this painting! And your story is too cute!

Susan McManamen said...

Thank you for sharing that adorable story. And of course I always love your pastels!