Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, April 28, 2019

An Important Tip for Watercolor Underpaintings

'Spring Surprise'           8x10             pastel            ©Karen Margulis
ask about availability

I always hated my watercolor underpaintings. I liked the idea of doing them. It seemed like a great way to get some interesting happy accidents to respond to with pastels. But my underpaintings always looked like washed out blobs!  I persevered though and I can say now that I really like how my watercolor underpaintings turn out. A strong underpainting allows for less work with pastel! Here is one tip that I have embraced:

Take your time!  Don't rush the underpainting. Let the dark areas dry before adding more paint. Play with watercolor techniques to make your underpainting more interesting. For this underpainting I used a thin brush to draw lines in the paint. I used splatter. I allowed paint to drip. I spent just as much time on the underpainting as the pastel application.  SLOW down and enjoy the time spent on the underpainting. Your patience will pay off!

Below is the underpainting. It is 8x10 on mounted white Pastel Premier sanded paper.



I also used a paper towel to dab at the paint for texture. 

The palette I used for the painting.

No comments: