Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, April 26, 2019

Help Me Identify this Mystery Pastel Paper

'Spring Fling'                9x12                pastel                  ©Karen Margulis
available $165

I have a mystery I need to solve! I can't identify a type of pastel paper that I am using. Several years ago a former student gifted me her pastels and papers when she could no longer paint. I added the packs of paper to my stash afraid to use them. I am always afraid to use old supplies that can no longer be found. What if I fall in love with it and then can't get it anymore!?

Well it happened. I broke down and used some of the paper from the stash. It came in a sample pack of pastel paper called the Sweet Tooth Paper Sampler. (see photo below). I painted on two pieces of the paper identified as 'Dave's Favorite'. This is written in pencil on the back of each piece.


this is the paper sampler with Dave's Favorite paper. What is it???
Well guess what? I like this paper. I didn't think I would. It is kind of like a thicker piece of Canson Mi-Teintes with a more pronounced rough side. It reminds me of a canvas weave. If you look back at my finished painting at the top of the page you can see the canvas like texture. This painting was on a dark gray piece. I have also painted on a dark blue piece.  I don't usually like the bumpy side of Canson so I didn't think I'd like this paper. Strangely I do like it. But now I don't know what it is. I sure haven't run across it anywhere else.

Does anyone know what paper this is? Here are a few clues:

  • It came in a cardboard envelop of 9x12 paper samples. The label says Sweet Tooth Paper Sampler.
  • Included in this sampler was several colors of Dave's Favorite paper, a piece of LaCarte, a piece of Gray Windberg paper (another mystery) a piece of White Wallis, and a piece of the older lighter Wallis Belgian Mist.
  • I am guessing that the artist who gave me the paper was working with pastels around 2000 to 2012 ish.
If you have any information on this mystery send me an email or comment below!

4 comments:

Rita said...

I took a workshop in early 2000’s where the artist used this paper and a unique method. He used the powdered basic pigments used to create paints - no binders, and “pounce pads” to rub the pigment onto the paper. It became a sort of underpainting which he worked on top of with mostly Mount Vision and Sennelier pastels. He said the only place to get the paper was an art supply store in New York City. I wish I could remember the artist’s name. His wife had made the pounce pads of a silky knit fabric and lightly stuffed, with pillow stuffing I think. If I can find any notes or info I’ll let you know.

Unknown said...

Dearest Karen ("magic hands pastel artist"):i found this but not sure. Maybe it belong to a sampler as Strathmore sampler for crafts. But as people say to my brother Benjamin: you paint beautiful with everything!
https://www.mftstamps.com/supplies/mft-cardstock/heavyweight-card-stock-sweet-tooth

Nettie K. said...

Copy and Paste into browser

https://www.mftstamps.com/supplies/mft-cardstock/heavyweight-card-stock-sweet-tooth

DAVID TENNANT said...

Hi Karen,
I think "sweet Tooth" is a paper finish.
You might want to contact these guys:
http://www.frenchsampleroom.com/?sampleroom_sample=pop-tone-sweet-tooth
Good Luck
Dave